Practically Perfect.

I was at the store trying to find my shopping list. I reached my hand into my coat pocket and I found a spoon.

As I wandered the aisles I wondered if my spoon would possibly come in handy. What if someone at Walmart had a spoon emergency and I could whip out my spoon and come to the rescue? It could happen.

My spoon was dirty. Upon further consideration I realized this was okay. I didn't want to show off too much. I mean all my fellow shoppers would be amazed at how prepared I was during the spoon emergency. I didn't want to rub into their faces the fact that I had a spoon to offer and they didn't. This way when I waved my spoon in the air and it was covered with lint and bits of pocket gunk that had stuck to the parts of the spoon I hadn't licked completely clean, they could relax. They could applaud my gesture. A dirty spoon is much more likeable than a clean spoon.

I'm home now. Unfortunately no spoons were needed during my errands. I have to wonder whether it is time to relinquish my spoon to the dishwasher. Or perhaps after lunch I could stick a dirty fork in the other pocket...

4 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

I think when I come to visit I'll introduce you to the world of plastic cutlery...it will change your life, rock your world, etc...

Anonymous said...

I think you have never been more your father's daughter. Maybe you were channeling his vibes..

Jen

Katydid said...

What would you have done with a knife?

Jeffrey Slater said...

I carry emergency notes from my children when they were young in my wallet. I love to take them out some 20 years later to bring a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. Read about it at
http://momentslater.blogspot.com/2011/01/paper-chase.html

You will laugh. You will cry. Feel free to share. Jeff