It's possible.

Today as I sat in McDonalds drinking my 10th refill, waiting for it to be safe for me to go to my car, I had to wonder. Is it just me? Does everyone else have encounters with crazy people and find themselves in strange situations on an almost daily basis? Surely I'm not the only one. But then again, maybe I have my own magnet that attracts crazy.

So, I watched the lady check my car doors one final time before giving up and finally wandering off. She had been beside me in line and arguing with herself over who would get to sit in the front seat on the way home. Then she'd taken her drink and gone straight to my car and tried to get inside. There were cars parked on both sides of me, yet she had stood waiting beside the passenger door of MY car. I decided that waiting inside for her to leave was the best way to handle things. Even if it had taken an hour.

Anyway, I realized that things do seem to happen to me. For example, recently my husband and I were driving to pick up Anna from choir practice, and we noticed that one of our front headlights had just gone out. AutoZone was less than a mile away so my husband figured we could just stop by and pick up a new headlight on our way home. I was not so sure. But my husband convinced me that it would be fine. A few blocks away from the store we were pulled over by the police for having our headlight out.

We bought another headlight and I begged my husband to put it in right there in the parking lot. He needed tools we didn't have in the car, so he wanted to wait until we got home. "Besides," he assured me, "what are the odds that we'll get pulled over twice in one night for the same headlight."

He'd forgotten that I was with him. And yes, we did get pulled over on the way home.

And then yesterday. I noticed the shorts my daughter was wearing looked like they were ripped in the back. But I can never say the right thing the right way. "Anna do you have a hole in your butt?" I yelled out. Everyone stopped what they were doing and turned to stare at me. See? Anyone else would have figured out a better way to phrase that or would have been more discreet.

So, I'm going to challenge myself to be more invisible. To try to make it through an entire week without making a scene or attracting the attention of crazy people. I think I can do it.

3 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

Its hard being a good. Its best for us just to stay at home :) where its safe!

mindy said...

Jules, do you mean it's hard being a Gould? I agree. I blame dad.

Stefanie said...

No! Don't do it! We live for your funny moments! The wonderful, crazy stories.... They make life fun. Be proud of your magnet status!