I'm just saying...

I'm a nag. I know, it's not like I'm bragging or anything. I'm just trying to face the facts. And if my husband says that saying something more than once is nagging, well that makes me a nag.
But is that really such a bad thing? Why does that always have to carry such a negative connotation? I like to remind people of things. It's what I'm good at.

For example: every day for the past 10 years I've told my kids to put their dishes in the dishwasher. And today as I was unloading the clean dishes from the dishwasher I found someone had added a dirty breakfast dish this morning. How can I be annoyed to find dirty dishes mixed in with the clean when my family is only doing what I have trained them to do? I can't, but it does show that nagging is effective. And it doesn't really matter that I couldn't find the dirty spoon so I went ahead and put all the silverware away anyway. If I couldn't tell it was dirty, chances are my children won't notice either.

Okay so back to nagging. I'm trying to be less of a nag. I will never be able to give up my nag status, but I'm trying to improve. However, I've found that telling someone to do something in a nice, round-about, "less nagging" way doesn't usually work.

For example: sometimes the drum set is left upstairs in the living room. Which I might add right now, is NOT where it belongs. So trying to do better I say, "Gee, I sure am getting tired of looking at the drum set in the living room." What I'm really saying is TAKE THAT DRUM SET DOWNSTAIRS NOW! But since I didn't actually say that, what happened? My son merely rearranged the drum set. Not exactly what I was going for.

So it all comes back to this. I'm a nag. It's what I'm good at. If you don't like it, too bad. Or just do it the first time I ask and we'll all be happy.

4 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

I wonder if its contagious...I'm a nag too!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I am a nag (Steve might disagree), but I don't get anything done either...

Jen

Anonymous said...

Ummm...was that a breakfast bowl upside down on the bottom rack? (The spoon was in the third bin back from the front...)

me

Sheila said...

Sometimes that is what it takes to get anything done. You should exercise your talents, right?