I've lost track of the time.

It's been a busy day and I've been trying to run around to get everything done before the kids arrive home from school. I look at the clock and figure that my youngest should be home any minute. I check out the window to see if I can see my neighbors van yet. I take the kids to school in the morning and my neighbor picks them up from the bus stop after school. It's a nice arrangement.

Ten minutes later I start to get worried. Not panicked. Just concerned. So I go over everything in my mind once more: I distinctly remember my daughter telling me that quiz bowl practice for today after school was cancelled. So she should be taking the bus home. Hmmm. So where is she?

Now I'm worried that my neighbor doesn't expect my daughter to be at the bus and maybe she made other arrangements for her kids to get home. And therefore my child is stranded without a ride home.

It's sleeting outside and I can just picture my daughter trying to walk up the steep hill to our house. I grab my purse and keys not bothering with a coat or even my shoes. I can't believe I let my child walk home in this weather!

I drive around for 10 minutes and my daughter is no where to be found. I've driven every possible route home and I'm to the panic point. My child is gone!

I drive like a maniac to the school figuring if I get pulled over I can just let the police take over. I pull up in front of the school and leave my car running as I race inside.

"My daughter didn't get off the bus!" I shriek. There is a part of me that whispers I may be over reacting just a tad, but I don't listen as I rush to the counter.

"Well that might be due to the fact that school doesn't get out for another hour," the lady informs me.

I look at the clock. I mean I really look at the clock. Oh. I'm mortified as I slink back to my car. And hope that no one notices that I'm not wearing any shoes.

3 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

had you at least painted your toe nails? :) PS I do that too :)

ldsjaneite said...

hahahahahaha! I'm sorry I'm laughing unabashedly, but that's hilarious!!!!

Stefanie said...

Hilarious!! I'll bet the office staff had a laugh, too. Maybe you should keep some flip-flops in the glove compartment- you know, in case you're ever in too big a hurry to bother yourself with that minor detail.