French cuisine.

Nick had an assignment to prepare a French dish and bring it to school today. He was gone all weekend so finally last night at 9pm Heather and I decided we should get started on it. My son had picked out the recipe and so we separated eggs, whipped, beat, and folded. Okay, we improvised.

Nick got home after we'd put it into the oven and asked, "so tell me again how we made these?" While going through our step by step process, the buzzer rang and the French Cheese Puffs were finished. Grabbing a cheese puff and giving it a taste, my son decided they were not very good. "Nothing personal," he added...

So it's 10pm and he's flipping through the cook book trying to find a different recipe. "Just tell everyone that they are supposed to taste bad, that the French LIKE their cheese puffs runny and smelling slightly of rubber," we begged. But he settled on a French cake recipe.

It looked easy enough. I finally sent him to bed at midnight and was up until 3am. The first cake never did cook all the way and there was the slight problem of having chunks of egg from where it didn't get mixed well enough. I think the second one won't kill anyone. But then again, I didn't have the nerve to exactly taste it.

I just want to say that I'm so grateful for the opportunity "we've" had to take this little adventure into French cuisine. It's made all the difference in my life. And the next time we get the chance, I'm going straight to the store to the nearest loaf of French bread.

5 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

Ha ha! This reminds me of when I had to make something for French class. I decided French Onion soup seemed simple. And I was determined to not have my mother have ot be involved. But early morning seminary and the desire to have a hot soup to serve forced it to be a joint effort...with a little more to do on her part.

Considering I had a croque-monsieur in France that was still frozen in the middle, maybe the French DO like their food a little yucky. :-)

P.S. You're such an awesome mom.

Anonymous said...

So I take it you won't be like Julie in the movie Julie and Julia. French cooking was therapeutic for her, what is wrong with you? :)

Julie Ramsay said...

Such a dedicated mother! Cakes are different in europe its true...

Heather said...

You should have seen the kitchen afterward. I think we used every pot we owned.

Sheila said...

That was so nice. Moms do a lot for their kids!