Where are we again?

I have smart kids. But there is something about geography...

Earlier this week my daughter came home from school and couldn't wait to tell me how awful her day was. Her teacher was making her memorize all the state capitols, and she wasn't very happy about it. "Do you even know what they all are?" she demanded. Sure, I mean at least I used to...

Not believing that I did, she decided to test me. "Provo," she announced. Seeing my blank look she continued. "Provo is the capitol of Idaho." Um, no. First of all, Provo isn't even a city in Idaho---it's in Utah---and Salt Lake City is the capitol of Utah. I guess my reasons weren't very convincing and my daughter went to look it up. "See," she called to me, "right here---the capitol of Idaho is...oh. I guess the capitol is Boise." I gave her a smug look, but didn't go as far as to say I told you so. "Close enough," she exclaimed grabbing her book.

Last night at dinner my husband was talking about Denver. "Delaware!" my daughter randomly yelled out. Delaware? Seeing everyone's confused expression she proudly explained. "Denver is the capitol of Delaware!"

"No, it's Denver, Colorado and it's Dover, Delaware," everyone clarified. "Same thing," she muttered, "they both start with D."

So did I mention my kids are geographically challenged? I actually find it very amusing. It means that they really don't know everything.

5 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

Well, I could say something. But there are some state capitals I don't at all. Somehow missed having to memorize those in school. Whew--at least I have Delaware down. :-)

Julie Ramsay said...

I learned it but they all have left me now...I'm sure I have what they have...Colin mocks my lack of geography skills daily. I think we get it from dad:)

AM said...

I know that Trenton is the capital of New Jersey. At least I think it is. South Carolina is Columbia, I think...... Rhode Island is Providence, that I know. Amd I'm pretty sure West Virginia is Charlston........maybe....

Heather said...

Today in history we found out that I can't find New Jersey, Vermont, or New Mexico on a map. I have to have my friend identify them before I can answer the question. I can totally do capitals though, I memorized those with Jenny.

Anonymous said...

Right on! I just wish I could retain them...

Jenny