Early morning run in the rain. What's better than that?
I went running this morning at 5am for a couple of reasons. First, I was awake. Second, I like to run with the cover of darkness. It's bad enough to find myself singing out loud as I listen to headphones, but yesterday as I ran I realized I was playing air guitar as well. And I don't even play guitar...

And I only saw one other person this morning in the park. I think the rain was probably the reason. So, I started my five miles. I brought a stopwatch to time each mile. According to the 16-week training program I printed out, I was supposed to run 5 miles today at 14 minutes 10 seconds a mile. I started as slow as I could and finished the first lap in 9 minutes. Wow! I hadn't realized I was in such good shape.

After the fifth lap---each in nine minutes, I was amazed. I wouldn't have to train as hard as I thought. If I could run 5 miles so quickly, I had to wonder just how out of shape and pitifully slow someone would have to be, to run a 14 minute mile. I even laughed out loud at the thought.

Before getting in my car I jogged over to the park sign to check the map. Then, I double checked the map. One lap = .7 miles.

Dang.

I guess I wasn't done running. After finishing and going home I did the math. I had run each of the five miles in 14 minutes 8 seconds each. I know. You don't have to say it. I'll have a large piece of humble pie for breakfast, please. And a diet Dr. Pepper.

4 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

I still think that's pretty awesome. And running in the rain is one of my favorites! We aren't getting any right now, so I guess I'll have to run in the sun. What are you training for?

mindy said...

A half marathon with my sister Jenny. Maybe. If I live through the training:)

Julie Ramsay said...

I would have rather lived in the dream bubble of the 9 minute mile

Jenny Dahlke said...

Wow...if I could get to the 14 min by nov I would be sooo happy. Have fun training;)