Trying to cut the cord, but it's just too hard.

Today Sarah and Nicholas went to Kennywood with the band. For the whole day. Not that I mind so much. It's just that it is really hot out and you know, I worry. So this morning I went through the whole spiel about making sure they drink water all day because dehydration is no laughing matter. I know I went over all of this last night so I probably deserved the eye rolling, but I can't help it.

I was about to start going over everything one last time when my children volunteered:

Yes, we charged our phones. Yes, we have money for food and water. Yes, we have hats. (There is a 67 percent chance of rain today at Kennywood and they refused to bring rain ponchos.)

Fine. I get it. I watched them drive out of the driveway feeling a pang of sadness. I decided I'd run out to wave goodbye. On my way to the garage door I saw they had forgotten something. "Wait," I yelled running after them.

More eye rolling as my daughter informed me that she had grabbed a different hat. "That's fine," I told her. "But you'll need your band shoes," I replied smugly as I handed them to her. Ahhh, it's nice to know my children still need me.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Of course, they probably forgot the shoes because you were blocking their view asking if they had hats.

Julie Ramsay said...

Don't you love being a mom. I can't wait until they are parents then they'll finally see how hard and fun it is!