Finally found my breaking point.

"There's a red mark on your neck," Sarah told me at dinner last night.

"Really? Let me see," Anna demanded.

"It's huge," Sarah continued, for some reason really interested in my neck.

"Is it a hickey?" Heather questioned.

"No," I assured them. It wasn't. But everyone at the table had to come over and personally reassure themselves.

"Nope, NOT a hickey," my husband announced. Geesh, I hoped that the official prognosis was now complete and we could talk about something else. It wasn't. My family continued to conjecture around the table about what could've caused such a large red mark on my neck.

"Your shirt must be too tight around your neck," one of the kids declared. The other kids finally agreed that this must be the reason.

"And you've kept your shirt on this whole time?" Sarah wanted to know. "Even though it has given you a red mark on your neck?!?"

***Aside***As you can see there had been way too much talking about the mysterious red mark. It was driving me nuts. It was all anyone could talk about around the dinner table. You can hardly blame me for what I did next.

I took off my shirt. At the dinner table.

Before you judge me too harshly, Nicholas had already left the table and gone to the computer room to print out music for his band practice that evening, so it was only Brian and the girls. But still. It wasn't my proudest moment. At least I was wearing my new bra.

Heather covered her face and kept repeating, "Can she do that?" very loudly; Sarah averted her eyes and told me to put my shirt back on; Anna started laughing hysterically. And Brian. When he realized what I had done, just sat there and smiled.

So, I finally realized that if I hadn't made my point, I never would and put my shirt back on. But from this experience I have realized a few things:

1. Sometimes I need to think one step ahead of myself before acting.
2. With my luck, my husband is now going to expect me to start taking my shirt off as part of every meal...
3. Modesty IS the best policy. So remember children, do as I say. Not as I do.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think whatever comment I make will be inappropriate...but I was impressed, nonetheless.

me

Heather said...

I'm going to need therapy for this...

Nancy said...

Wow....a hidden exhibitionist! Who'd a thought?

Julie Ramsay said...

the children made you do it...
Hilarious nonetheless...

AM said...

you had an undershirt thing on too

ldsjaneite said...

At least you had your garments on, right? There's a lesson...sort of, I guess. This post made me laugh. I thought you were going to say something about it being a curling iron, though so many girls in high school were REALLY clumsy with their curling irons all the time.

Unknown said...

Wow----that was gutsy! I like your "shock treatment" approach!

Anonymous said...

So did I.

me

Katydid said...

Ha! What bravery.