It's harder than you'd think...

On my list of things to do today was "buy a maroon towel for Nicholas." Okay, I can do that. At the mall I went to Marshalls and looked through the towels. Man, there are a lot of different colored towels!

"Excuse me, but would you call this towel maroon?" I asked a lady walking past. "No, that is eggplant," she informed me. (Eggplant?!?)

Obviously this lady knew her colors. I wasn't about to let her get away.

"What about this one?" I asked holding up another towel. "No, I'd call that more of a paprika," she told me.

"This one?" I asked hopefully, holding up yet another towel. "Nope. Here let me show you." She led me over to the pillows and pointed to one. "This, is maroon. See, it has more red in it."

I lamented not being able to drag the color lady through the mall with me as I walked to another store. I immediately asked the sales lady at Sears, "Do you have any maroon towels?"

"The closest we have is cranberry." she replied. I left wondering why all the towels seemed to be named after food.

A few more stores later I went to JCPenneys determined to come out with a towel. "Is this maroon?" I asked another unsuspecting customer who had the good fortune to be lingering in the towel section at just the right time.

"What does it say it is?" she asked grabbing the towel and looking at the label. Labels! What a great idea...that I'd never thought of...

"It says it's 'Wine' colored." That was helpful. "Would you say that wine colored is also maroon?" I tried, desperate at this point.

"It's close," the lady replied. Probably just to get me off her back.

"I'll take it!" I yelled, excited to have finally found a towel I could buy. Some guy laughed and elbowed his wife. "Why don't you get that excited about towels?" he asked her.

So now I'm at home wondering what Nicholas will say about the towel. I don't know why I'm so worried. I mean the towel is just going to be used to wipe up spit from his trumpet. And I'm willing to bet that some poor kid is going to show up with a cranberry towel or dare I say it---an eggplant colored towel.

But at least it won't be my kid.

2 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

Is maroon a school color?

That is a fun towel adventure. I've never been very good at colors. Always thought it came from having a bunch of brothers. "It's, uh, some shade of red."

Stefanie said...

I haven't checked your blog in ahwile so I loved catching up on all the fun stuff. I'm glad you found the right color towel. And BTW-the newspaper article was cool!