Ovens.

Yesterday I broke the door off my oven. It isn't important how that happened--just so you know that I did finish painting my kitchen...

Anyway, I had to look at what a disgustingly dirty oven I have all afternoon. I finally decided it was time to clean my oven. Of course, not me personally. It does have a self-cleaning setting (which is quite lovely with an appliance.) I know. I've used it before. Once.

Since we had the instruction manual out to try to fix the door, I was able to get the oven cleaning setting information. It had times for average and heavily dirty ovens. Unfortunately neither of these options could describe MY oven. I added an extra hour for it to clean mine.

So, after 30 minutes the smoke alarm started going off. I opened all the windows and doors, hoping the freezing cold wind would help. It did not. My husband was able to rig up a fan which finally stopped the incessantly loud beeping of the smoke alarm. (The cats may never recover from this trauma.)

I think I'm supposed to wipe out the inside of my oven now. Except with the door now back on, I can no longer see inside it. I will most likely not remember. So basically I blame the door for my dirty oven. I'll get around to it the next time I paint.

2 comments:

Heather said...

You really had to see this oven to believe it. There was caked on burnt food all the way back from when we first moved here.

Nikia, May and da kids said...

I'm sorry to laugh at your oven story and your peril with it, but that is pretty funny how it went down at a bad time. I find your blog refreshing and so I will be your newest follower. It's a New Year with new changes and hopefully a new oven.

Happy New Year and check us out sometime if you need some ridiculousness back.

May