Where am I?


I am not good with directions. Never have been, most likely never will be. In fact, whenever I go anywhere (even locally) I tend to give myself an extra buffer of time to allow for getting lost (i.e. if I find myself in Pennsylvania I have gone too far).

Last week my husband dropped 2 of our kids off at Penn state music camp. He then started asking them if they knew which way was north and that they needed to get themselves oriented to the campus. My daughter Heather immediately told him that the day he married me he lost all rights and expectations for his children to have any navigational sense whatsoever. Sad, but true.

The first night, Heather called and said that she had been walking around for a while and couldn't find her dorm room. She said that they all looked a like and so far her pass card hadn't worked on any of them yet. So, the next night when we called to see if she had found her dorm okay, she sounded offended that we would ask--implying that she couldn't find her room! Huh!

During the week she ended up in a saxophone master class (she plays violin and flute) but she was too embarrassed to leave and go to the right class. I told her that everyone there probably knew she didn't play saxophone. She said, "I know, but they were too polite to say anything." She also ended up in the wrong conducting class.

Nicholas didn't fare any better. He wasn't able to find his jazz band sectional and ended up in a rhythm class which he enjoyed so much he ended up going back the next day as well. He also sat in an empty class room for 15 minutes before a search party was sent out and he was taken to the right class...

I guess we all have to find ways to live with our handicaps...they will have to either learn how to read a map, ask for directions or do what I do--leave early enough to get lost and still get to where I am going on time...







3 comments:

mindy said...

SO RUDE, did not happen like that. Mucho major exaggeration. Well, Nick's did happen like that.

mindy said...

The guy who fixed my schedule gave me the wrong room for a film music class instead of a sectional, I did not actually go in a sax class, I figured something was wrong. And I only messed with my pass card once, and that was getting into the building, so there.

Julie Ramsay said...

I am also directionally handicapped. We get it from our father. Once we walked to Target from out house together. Dad thought it would be fun to go on the residential sidewalks instead of along 56th street. We got so lost. I finally stopped and asked for directions!