From the mouth of babes

I was giving a bridal shower. I was going to play the game where you put a bunch of items having to do with the honeymoon into a purse. Then someone "accidentally" trips coming into the room, spilling out the contents of the purse. They make a big production putting the stuff back into their purse and then you pass out a pencil and paper having everyone write down as many items they remember having seen from the purse.

Anyway, I was getting the items for the purse ready. We had decided not to be too risky but had enough stuff in the purse to be fun and embarrass the bride a little. I had been able to get everything safely in the purse except the last item before my 11-year old daughter came into the kitchen. "Why are you putting hand-cuffs in your purse, mom?" she had asked.

Oops. "It's for a game." I told her truthfully. "It's something they won't expect to be inside a purse, so it will be funny." That part was mostly true. I figured that was a good enough explanation. I had people arriving any minute and I didn't want to get into That conversation with my eleven year old right then.

"That is funny?" She had asked, not believing me. "I don't want to grow up then, if it means I'll have to lose my sense of humor." she had said disgustedly as she left the room.

No comments: