Oops, I did it again

Something I've decided to work on is not complaining so much. When I start paying attention to what actually comes out of my mouth, I've realized that I complain a lot. The problem is, I tend to speak before I think about what I'm saying.

Take last Sunday, for instance. We had a joint Relief Society/Priesthood lesson, which was really good, by the way (that was a positive comment!), where the teacher mentioned that, like the body, which has natural hormones to help us sleep, the gospel also has elements that help us (sleep???). Without thinking, I volunteered: "It's called Isaiah," which got several scowls from the people sitting around me, as well as a whisper of disapproval from someone behind me: "She didn't even raise her hand." Of course that wasn't the answer the teacher was looking for.

Recommitting myself once again to try and censor my negativity and focus on positive thoughts and comments, I'm finding it's hard. (Only I would complain about trying not to complain.) I've come up with a few ideas to help facilitate my efforts.

1. Make note cards with positive comments. However, note to self: when positive comments are said sarcastically they don't count as being positive.

2. Limit time around other people. This is actually my best bet for success.

Well that's pretty much all I have. Some people are always so peppy and positive---I can't stand people like that. I mean, I wish I was more like that.

4 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

Darling I think its just your sense of humor. I definitely don't think you're negative. YOu are Peppy (when your on dr. Pepper) and positive...just funny and realistic! We love you just as you are!

mindy said...

That's what I love about you---you're delusional:)

Katydid said...

You should columns by Robert Kirby he would like your sense of humor!

mindy said...

I just read some of his columns on-line and he is hysterical---too bad he died. Possibly I'm not quite as sarcastic as he is (but I wish I was, ha). Thanks for the recomendation, not living in Utah, I've never read him before and have missed out!