Wake Up Call

Sarah sat up all evening constructing a map of the state and coloring in all the different counties as they were cancelled and delayed, in anticipation. There was very cold weather being predicted for this morning and here in West Virginia we get almost a guaranteed 2-hour delay for below zero temperatures.

Needless to say, we were keeping track of the school situation. In fact, we knew about our delay before we went to bed last night and I smiled as I set the alarm for 8:30am instead of the usual 5:20am (no early morning seminary on school delay days)!

So imagine my surprise to hear the phone ring at 6:06am this morning. And I was more than a little annoyed to find out it was a recording from our school, kindly informing me that there was a two hour delay. (Basically they were waking me up to tell me I could go back to sleep.) BUT I KNEW THAT BEFORE I WENT TO BED LAST NIGHT!

Not able to get back to sleep, my nice feelings that they would call so early haven't faded any. This is the third time I've received a six am phone call from the school and it's getting tiresome. I politely waited until 8am (only because I knew I'd just get a recording if I called earlier) and explained that I don't appreciate the phone calls and want them to stop. The nice lady informed me that she didn't think that was possible and connected me to someone else that I could leave a voice mail with.

They were probably home asleep---like I should still be! It reminds me of the line from a movie, "Wake up, it's time to take your sleeping pill." And it's just the beginning of the cold weather, I have many early morning phone calls to look forward to.

4 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

There's a line in "Amazing Grace" on that, too: So, you're waking me up to give me medicine to sleep. Interesting that schools send out calls now. They should stop trying to be so nice and let people figure it out for themself.

Julie Ramsay said...

Wow! What an organized school. Sorry you had to wake up! Bummer!

mindy said...

organized? I can think of some better adjectives...are you feeling organized Julie?

Anonymous said...

Wow! We had -17 one morning last week. Not a peep from the school or anyone else. They expected my kids to stand at the bus stop anyway. I'm sorry about the 6am thing. How annoying. Turn your ringer off! HA!