And so it goes...

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I don't want to shock anyone, so maybe you should sit down. Are you ready? Life isn't fair. I know, it's a shocker. But it's true and I'm sorry you had to hear it from me.

It's worse when as a parent, you can't do anything, when life hands one of those priceless moments to your kids. The mom in me, goes into over-drive and I just want to make everything okay. Because the thing is: Life SHOULD be fair. I mean, that's only fair, right?

My kids found out yesterday that they didn't make it into All-State Band. It was a very upsetting and traumatic day for all of us. It was probably my fault that they were as upset as they were. I was so convinced that they would make it, that I over encouraged them and insisted that the auditions were just a mere formality. And they should have made it---that's the thing. They are good enough.

But what can I do? Nothing. I can complain and scream and rant and rave (already did that) and still nothing will change. I can tell my kids that they didn't want to be in that crummy band anyway. But the truth is, we---I mean they really did. And it hurts. And it isn't fair. But life goes on. And it will continue going on, not being fair. So, I guess that's the only part about life that's fair.

1 comment:

mindy said...

That's the spirit!