The clock is ticking as the new year begins...

It's amazing how time flies! It seems like I just did this---stayed up late, eating junk food...Anyway, as I sit back and think about 2008, I wish I could go back and re-do one thing. It's really been bothering me, too. There's nothing worse than regret (and heartburn).

As you all know, we had a leap second added at midnight, New Year's Eve. A whole extra second---that we were free to do with, whatever we wanted! I mean, I could've really let loose and done something crazy! Or not. I could've used it to better mankind!

Hence, the regret. I knew about it. I anticipated it. I waited for it. Then I got reading a book and before I knew it, it was gone. You'd think someone would have had the decency to add an extra second to the countdown to remind me: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 ONE Happy New Year!!!

At about five minutes after midnight, my husband leaned over and said, "Hey, Happy New Year!" I poked my head out of my book---"Right, Happy New Year," and gave him a kiss. I'm a real party animal.

But I missed my chance. I had an extra second handed to me and I let it pass me by. Maybe if it had been an extra minute or an extra leap hour---I could've used it for something important. I just feel cheated and a little disappointed. But hey, happy New Year and I hope you all used your leap second more productively than I did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel cheated, too. I remembered it and went to chase down the GPS so that we could watch the leap second. My excitement was short-lived when I remembered that the leap second happened at midnight UTC -- about two hours before my moment of brilliance (?).

Julie Ramsay said...

I know nothing about this extra leap second...I don't keep up with the news and such! I'll google it and feel bad about it later!