High Standards.

We had 4 missionaries (all young men ages 19-21) over for dinner tonight. It was a nice evening, but I have to admit there was something they said that I found rather odd. They mentioned that one of the things they usually find out right away about their new companions was which Disney princess they liked the best. Seriously? Now you see that I wasn't kidding when I said it was odd.

Although, I do remember when "The Little Mermaid" first came out, at least half the guys at college were in love with Ariel. Also, strange. (I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with the shells she was wearing.)

Anyway, being curious I asked one of them which princess they liked. He said he liked the "Swan Princess." Instantly there was a loud uproar. I guess the Swan Princess isn't a Disney movie. So technically that means she isn't elgible to be a "Disney" princess. This was sounding a little too complicated.

Since the first princess went over so well, I decided to ask another missionary. He liked Meg. Again, another round of comments. "Meg married Hercules who was a god, so she isn't a princess." Wouldn't you agree that goddess trumps princess? I mean we are talking about cartoon characters.

That night, as I lay in bed trying to sleep, the more I thought about the whole conversation, the more disgusted I became. I mean, it's bad enough that girls have to live up to Hollywood's expectations of what they should look like. But now they have to compete with Disney Princesses? Geesh. Give me a break.

Unless of course we get to wear costumes. If that's the case, I call dibs on the sea shells.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would those be the large or small shells? :)

me

Julie Ramsay said...

I would be cinderella! I'm suprised guys even thing about this??? Weird!

ldsjaneite said...

I'm Belle. I'm a librarian--what else could I be?