INXS is not for the faint-hearted.

I haven't been running since right before I got sick. Since it's been a while, today I decided I'd do a short run in my neighborhood. I was approaching an older couple when all of a sudden, the man grabbed his wife and pulled her off to the side of the road. They looked quite scared so I turned around to see if a car was coming. There wasn't. They kept looking at me, though.

Did I smell? I guess it was possible...it was 11:00 and really too late for me to be running. It was already hot outside. But I couldn't smell that bad, could I? Then I realized that I was singing out loud. It was an INXS song and the words I had been singing were: "Devil inside, devil inside, every single one of us, the devil inside..."

I guess I had to admit that a sweaty, heavy breathing person, singing about the devil would make anyone a little nervous...As I continued running I tried to figure out what I could do when I saw them again at the other side of the circle. Apologizing would only remind them that I was creepy. I decided I'd just smile and pretend I was normal. But the closer I got to them, I realized that I probably did stink.

I ran past them and tried not to cringe as the man grabbed his wife's arm as a precaution. I knew there was a reason I usually try to run early in the morning. And scaring old people is an all-time new low for me.

4 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

Its their problem not yours...bikers say on the left but runners don't say anything. THey probably couldn't hear you anyway.(all of this was from mom). I thought the post was hilarious!(julie) Dad says he'll keep his mouth shut-while laughing.

sheila said...

Hilarious! At least it wasn't "Pour some sugar on me"

ldsjaneite said...

You can sing while you run?! I'm even more impressed. :-)

Drewmeister said...

That's awesome--too funny!