Watermelon: $1.98; Help from a stranger: Priceless

I figured I'd head over to Walmart first thing this morning and get it over with. It was surprisingly empty and quiet. I walked through the produce section and saw an older man over by the watermelons. I don't usually buy watermelons because Brian doesn't like them. But it's my birthday today and Nick's band is coming over this afternoon. And besides, it's my birthday.

The man was still looking through the watermelons when I approached and I felt awkward just picking up a random watermelon to put in my cart. I mean, he'd been selecting his for several minutes now. I decided to act like I knew what I was doing. I picked up a few watermelons and smelled them. The produce guy actually laughed at me, so I decided smelling them wasn't quite right. I remembered that my sister had knocked on the one we'd bought in Utah.

At this point I got carried away. I started knocking on every watermelon, putting them in piles according to what sound they made. I just couldn't remember if a hollow sound was good or not. After watching me for several minutes, the man next to me finally intervened. "You don't know what you're doing!" he announced, pointing to a watermelon. "Take that one." So I did.

I thanked him and started walking away when his wife came over to him. "What do you think you're doing?" she demanded. "You don't know the first thing about watermelons!" I turned to look at the man. "I know," he mumbled. Then he looked up and saw me staring at him. "But I know more than SHE does." It was true. At least now I have a watermelon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, from my point of view, any one of them would have been equal...unless it were oozing something.

me

Stefanie said...

Happy Birthday Mindy!!!! Enjoy your watermelon today. BTW, you are so hilarious. You should write a column for a newspaper or something.

Anonymous said...

I think so, too, BTW...

me

Julie Ramsay said...

Hilarious! You are such a comedian! I love it!

ldsjaneite said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Late "breaking" news:

One of the kids (he shall remain nameless) dropped said watermelon out of the refrigerator yesterday afternoon. It cracked cleanly in half. Mindy went ahead and cut it up.

-me

swissscrapper said...

hahahahaha! That was awesome.

Anonymous said...

So you never told us if it was any good? You can't leave us hanging...

Jen

mindy said...

Actually it was fabulous! I wish I would've gotten the man's name and number...or at least arranged to meet him again so he could help me pick out another one...

Heather said...

And I missed it!! I feel betrayed.