Deja'vu
This morning I was walking back and forth across the kitchen eating a bowl of cereal. Every morning Jesse follows behind me and asks me what I'm doing. Maybe if I sat at the kitchen table and ate breakfast like a normal person, he wouldn't ask me what I was doing. Which I don't have a problem with. Except every time I try to sit down and eat cereal, the cat perches near by, staring at me, licking his lips, waiting for me to finish so he can have the last few drops of milk in my bowl. It is very unnerving, so I've taken to pacing.

So it is me, Jesse and the cat walking back and forth. "I'm eating cereal," I tell him again this morning. He never believes me and has me tip my bowl down for him to see. "Frosted Flakes!" he yells out, very upset. "I love 'Frosted flakes!'" There are tears in his eyes. "No, Jesse, remember I eat 'Honey Bunches of Oats.'" I told him yesterday and besides, I've eaten the same cereal every morning for the past ten years or so (except for a couple of years ago when I got hooked on instant oatmeal for three months). I have to show him the box again to prove it really isn't 'Frosted Flakes.' He scrunches up his nose, "Those aren't 'Frosted Flakes,'" he decides looking at the box. "Yuck!"

He runs off back to his fire truck leaving me to finish my cereal with only the cat to follow me---until tomorrow that is. When the whole conversation will happen all over again.

2 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

I walk and eat too, or read and eat, or watch tv and eat...I'm flexible like that.

mindy said...

Funny how all of those things involve eating...:)