Should I feel bad about beating the crap out of the wasp?

Nick was in the basement playing the drumset and I went down to tell him it was time to eat. I was barefoot and not paying any attention to where I was walking. Suddenly it felt like I stepped on a needle or something. I yanked my foot up, waiting for the pain to disappear---but it didn't. Then I saw that I'd been stung by a wasp lying on the floor, right on the arch of my foot.

Man, it hurt! I feel bad because whenever my kids get stung, I tell them to suck it up and quit over-reacting. But it hurt for a long time. I sat down and grabbed one of Nick's shoes and started beating the crud out of the wasp, the whole time screaming at the top of my lungs, until there was nothing left of the wasp but tiny bits.

My son stopped playing when he noticed my foot had started to swell. "I wondered what you were doing," he exclaimed, after I told him what had happened. See, this is the part that is the most disconcerting. There I was screaming and banging a shoe on the ground for several minutes and my son found this behavior perfectly normal. I guess I need to mellow out a bit so that in the future, it will be more obvious when I find myself in need of assistance...

4 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

You last post was about hands and now your foot is injured??? Your body is against you! I've been stung twice...hurt like heck all day and night long. Pack it in mud and take that yummy medicine!

mindy said...

I agree, I'll just order a new, better body:) I took some benedryl and I feel like i'm floating.........

sheila said...

I am wondering why he didn't come running to see what was wrong? Is that what you mean by being "normal"? Ha I know how much that hurts. I wonder if you can get your church shoes on tomorrow?

Jenny Dahlke said...

I tend to be a little dramatic, so my kids would probably act the same way. Now, Trent is the opposite, in fact, yesterday he almost ripped his thumb off with a saw and i wouldn't have known except he came upstairs to bleed into the sink, rather than on his project. I admit I like being married to my 'big, strong man', but if two people are in the er with the same injury and one is more dramatic than the other guess who's going to get treated first? That's right, you will mindy;) hope your foot is feeling better.