Give or take 24 hours...

I was so proud of myself yesterday. At the very last moment I realized that Heather had forgotten her violin and would need it to get to her first All-state practice at noon that day. I still couldn't believe she hadn't called, as I drove over to the school and ran into the high school office. I was in a panic, knowing she would be late and explained that I needed them to call Heather to the office. The lady I talked to didn't think she'd gotten a paper about anyone being excused that day for All-State. But, I was in a hurry and I told her that I was positive Heather had rehearsal at noon on Thursday and all day Friday because Heather has been looking forward to this for months.

The secretary looked at me strangely but still didn't call for Heather to come to the office. "Can you call Heather out of class?" I asked her slowly so she would understand me. "It's in Morgantown," I emphasized. It was already 11:30 and I needed to give Heather her violin. Finally she called Heather down, but didn't seem too happy about it. I met her in the hallway.

Heather walked toward me giving me a look---the one you give when you want to make sure someone isn't carrying a sharp knife because you don't want them to hurt themselves. "Mom. Today is Wednesday." Then Heather turned around and went back to class.

First, I think I should get points for trying. I did remember, after all. I was a day off, but still.

Second, possibly this happens quite often. People go into the school and have their children called down for appointments and have the wrong day---all the time. Right?

Third, I had drank the last of my dr. pepper earlier that morning, so the trip wasn't a complete loss. I had to go out anyway.

Lastly. Today is Thursday.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

HA! HA! I knew my kids would mess you up in some way....I've been thinking it's Saturday all day today. Happens to the best of us!

mindy said...

Sorry Nancy, I'm afraid I was messed up before they came and sadly, will remain so now that they are gone, hee hee. :)

ldsjaneite said...

You told the secretary Thursday. You would think she would have corrected you about the day before she called Heather down. Maybe she couldn't remember either.

mindy said...

No, she knew it was Wednesday...By the look on her face, I think she was wondering why I was in such a hurry to get Heather if it wasn't until Thursday. Morgantown is only an hour away---she must think I drive really slow!

Julie Ramsay said...

It happens to me allllll the time! At least you had to go out anyway!