Anyone want to buy a vowel?

I read the statistic that women use over 20,000 words a day and men only around 7,000 words. I could definitely see this. My husband comes home with about 100 or so words left for the day (once your word limit is gone, you can no longer talk, right?) and I am raring to go with 8 or 9,000 left.

I'm at home all day talking to the plants, the cats and let's face it, myself...with the kids at school and the cats not too chatty---some days I can get pretty desperate for conversation. It's no wonder I follow the kids and my husband around when they get home and want to know every little detail about their day. They have used up most of their word allotment and are pretty stingy, but I am just getting started.

And I do, I talk and talk. They will usually nod and grunt when necessary, or I will kick and prod them to nod and grunt where appropriate, as needed. It works for us.

Then I read that this 20k/7K word ratio wasn't true. There is no data to support these claims. It seemed to make perfect sense to me. Now I have to rethink everything. Maybe my family isn't talking to me, not because they have simply used up their daily word allotment, but because they don't want to...I'll stick to my original theory, it makes me feel better. At least until the cats can make better conversation, anyway.

1 comment:

Julie Ramsay said...

Can you say verbal diahreaa? You are just like our father!!! Sweet!