Stranger things have happened

I went to a wedding reception where I didn't know many people. I don't do well making small talk, so I was kind of leery as I stood around the punch bowl waiting for the newlyweds to cut the cake.

"For my next mid-life crisis, I'm considering becoming an alcoholic," the woman next to me confided. "Okay." I made sure not to make any sudden movements and looked at her closely to see if she was smiling. She seemed to be serious. "Yes," she continued, apparently unaware of my apprehension, "They are advertising a pill that will solve all of life's problems, but I have to be an alcoholic to take it. And I want that pill," she concluded dramatically.

"Really?" I wasn't sure what to say. I elbowed my daughter and she looked at me with wide-eyes---she was just as concerned as I was. "It seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a pill," I told her, "and alcoholism seems a bit extreme," I added. "Have you tried a different angle? How stable is your mental health?" I couldn't help but ask. (They'll give you drugs for being crazy.)

Now she looked at me, to see if I was joking. Actually, I was being serious---anyone who'd consider becoming an alcoholic to get drugs was clearly not playing with a full deck. "I know, but a drug to solve all of my problems, might be worth it," she insisted.

I grabbed my daughter's arm to make a quick get-away. "Good-luck with that," I told her, reminding myself to stay away from the punch.

On the drive home it made me wonder what desperate things I would do for a "miracle" pill...and then I felt thankful that my life wasn't bad enough to even consider wanting such a pill. Yes, life is good.

5 comments:

Molly said...

Cool stuff like this just never happens to me! I must not get out enough.

Julie Ramsay said...

The People you meet...amazing! My life just couldn't get any better...kids, calling, moving in weeks! Oh the joys of life! I need to google this pill!!!

Nancy said...

Why just alcohol? Doesn't everyone have some addiction that could equate to alcoholism? Like my obsessive need to pick the skin on my feet.....doesn't that count for anything?

mindy said...

yes, but would you tell a complete stranger about that?

Molly said...

Yes, yes she would :P