The innocence of youth

At church my kids gathered around me fascinated. I'm not sure what the big deal was, but they had discovered that when they pinched the skin on the back of their hand, and they let go, it snapped right back into place. However, when they did this to my hand, it had a delayed reaction. It went down much slower and they thought this was very entertaining.

I was patient and let them have their fun. But after 15 minutes of them pinching my hand to repeatedly compare it to their own---younger, much firmer hands, I'd had enough. Instead of standing up in the middle of church and screaming "LEAVE ME ALONE!" at the top of my lungs like I wanted to, I chose a second option---a loud whisper. I'm sure it was louder than appropriate in church, but I wanted to make sure all four of my kids heard me, so I wouldn't have to repeat myself.

"When you pinch my hand and the skin doesn't go back down at all---THAT'S when you know I'm old." I told them (I'm not dead yet) and with that, I sat on my hands, game over!

I looked over to see what my kids would entertain themselves with now and saw they had gathered around their dad, pinching his hand. In fact, it looked like Heather had her watch and was timing just how long it took his skin to mold back in place. I almost felt sorry for him, but instead I thought, "Better him then me," and decided I could listen to the rest of the meeting in peace now---at least while I was young enough to still have my hearing...

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I tested myself....my skin went right back into place! I guess 30 really is the new 20, right?

mindy said...

I think you are just bragging---just wait until you are 37! Then try it!

Molly said...

Yeah, my skin snaps back into place immediately as well. However, you can comfort yourself with the fact that my belly will saggy in a few days....

mindy said...

Okay girls, just so we're clear. It's the skin on top of your knuckles. Not the skin by your wrist or middle of your hand--my skin there goes back quickly as well...Try that,you young wipper-snappers!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not looking at my hands. I'm too busy trying to cover up my crow's feet!!

Julie Ramsay said...

I tried it and my skin over my knuckles also goes down very slowly. Cool...I'm old too. I've also got the grey hair and crows feet too!

ldsjaneite said...

I've never tried it on the knuckles. My reaction when I did: Eww-gross!