The art of communication

My son went to a jazz festival last weekend. He's not keen on calling, so even though he brought his cell phone and charger, I didn't expect a call. He surprised me, however, by calling not once, but twice during the trip. The conversations were somehow lacking and I was left wondering if I had benefited by the calls---except to know that he was alive.

We hadn't planned on making the 6 hour round trip drive to hear his final concert Saturday evening, but the weather cleared up, so we decided to surprise Nick. We were glad we did. He hadn't mentioned he had a huge solo. Talking to one of the chaperones, I found out there were several other things he hadn't mentioned.

The charter bus they'd taken had broken down and they hadn't even stayed in the hotel they were scheduled to stay at. The list was endless of all the problems they'd encountered over the weekend: from power outages to schedule changes. And talking to my son twice, I hadn't heard a peep about any of them. Surely he'd noticed the bus breaking down?

He had seemed happy to see us at his concert and we were able to record his solo. I guess I can't blame him, he's always been one to focus on whatever he's doing, never noticing what's going on around him. And he did call---after all, that's what I asked him to do.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I think it's a male thing. My husband always says, Why mention it when there's nothing YOU can do about it? So maybe he thought since you guys couldn't help, he wasn't going to mention it. Totally male logic....

Molly said...

Yep, it's a male thing. I have to question Bob to death to figure out how a simple trip to Wal-Mart went. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

I have heard the same thing, Nancy! I'm sorry, Mindy---I would have been irritated. Now you will wonder what's going on next time he goes anywhere.