My Personal Welcoming Committee at the Airport...

At midnight I was getting off the last leg of my flight home. It had been a long day and in Switzerland it was 6am. I had been travelling all day and all night and I felt like it. Walking down the hallway I saw a small group of people wearing sombreros but could only see the hats. The people around me started laughing. "Yeah, I feel sorry for whoever they are waiting for," I teased. Then it hit me. Those hats looked familiar. "Hey, those are MY freaks!!!" I yelled out. My new friends laughed even harder. It had been a small flight, it was late and we had all gotten to know each pretty well. They thought it was funny.

Anna had spent the night at a friend's house so it was Brian and the 3 older kids who met me at the airport. I have to admit, I was surprised. But I was more surprised to find it was Sarah's idea to wear the hats. Of all my kids, she is the one who doesn't like to stand out or be noticed. There probably wasn't a single person in the airport who didn't comment on their signs or hats...

On the drive home my kids started listing things they needed from the store, Nick needed a haircut, etc. It was good to be home. But more important: It was good to be missed!

5 comments:

Heather said...

It was great, I bet those people have never seen a welcoming commitee with sombreros before. I did feel mildly self-concious though.

Julie Ramsay said...

At midnight that couldn't have been too many people around and you always need a good laugh after a long flight!

Jenny Dahlke said...

How awesome! Not only do you get the creative and amusing welcome, but, you actually have kids willing to be at the airport at midnight!

ldsjaneite said...

Haha! That's great!

Katydid said...

You went to Switzerland! I am so jealous. What did you think? I haven't been there in a while.