Who knew a day of pampering could be so exhausting.

Julie took me to a spa on Saturday. It was lovely. I've never been to a spa where you spent the day and I was quite nervous. I mean this was Switzerland, afterall, and I have noticed that Europeans can be more, ah, free and open with their bodies, than I'm comfortable with. But my sister promised me I could wear my swimsuit the whole time and this wasn't like one of the Zurich spas where people would actually walk around naked. I tried to relax.

So we walked into the dressing rooms and I did a double take. We'd gone into the wrong dressing room! My German isn't too good, I couldn't believe what we'd done. I could feel my face turning red as I saw a MAN changing right in front of me. I whipped around to tell Julie before she got an eye full, "Julie, there are guys in here!" I told her in a panic.

She smiled. She knew. Apparently in Switzerland all dressing rooms are co-ed and supposedly she was so used to it, she didn't even think to mention it. Yeah, right.

It was a Roman bath spa and we went to a series of hot tubs and saunas which increased in their hotness. By the end they were so hot we could barely breath. I was very glad we had gone early because there was hardly anyone else there and we were alone most of the time. So we giggled and chatted and had a fabulous time---we only got in trouble for being too loud a couple of times.

I also got my first massage and a pedicure. I made Julie sit next to me for both. We had a wonderful day but I did wear my swimsuit home to change there...I guess I'll never really be European. But I'm okay with that.

3 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

It was a beautiful day! We had a fun day and hopefully we can do it more often now that you're broken in!

sheila said...

Wow, what an experience. I wouldn't panic though---I would enjoy it! Ha!

your big sister said...

i wish i could have seen your face! HA!