There are many reasons it isn't time to give up drinking my dr. pepper.
My husband has recently stopped drinking Pepsi Max. He hasn't mentioned or hinted to me that I should give up caffeine as well, yet. But just so everyone knows where I stand on the subject:
Thanks to drinking dr. pepper, I've learned many life lessons. For example, driving to church on Sunday I opened a can and it sprayed all over the front of my skirt. (I hate it when that happens. Perfectly good dr. pepper wasted.) "Girls, this [I point at my sticky, wet skirt] is why you shouldn't drink and drive." See? Life lesson.

Life lesson #2: Know your limitations.

I was at a book club meeting with my sister in Switzerland. (I just had to add that last part. It makes me sound so hip, doesn't it? A book club meeting---in Switzerland, no less!!!) Well, if it makes you feel any better, I hadn't read the book... Anyway, back to the dr. pepper. The hostess asked me if I wanted anything to drink. "I only drink in the morning," I told her. She looked at me very strangely. But it's true. I try to only drink dr. pepper in the morning and early afternoon. Otherwise I can't sleep at night.

Life lesson #3: Protect what's most precious.

I was drinking some dr. pepper when Tim came up to me. "I want some," he reached up for my glass. Usually I have no problem sharing. But this created at least 2 problems. First, a 4-yr old drinking caffeine? I don't think so. Second, what if he likes it? Then he'll drink all my pop!!!

"I'm sorry. It's my medicine," I told him. This is also the truth. Where would I be without it? (Lying in bed somewhere....) This didn't phase him a bit. [cough, cough] "I has a cough," he tried reaching up for my cup again. "Sorry, it's not cough medicine," I told him as I took the last gulp and went to get him something else to drink.

So although my husband has given up drinking his Pepsi Max, you can see that clearly there is more I can learn from my beverage. Besides, all this talk about dr. pepper is making me a tad bit thirsty.

7 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

My favorite part is that you drink 2 back to back! I'm still chuckling about it! My friend Amy says she loves reading your blog and thinks you're such a good writer...

ldsjaneite said...

The librarian in me can't help it: What was the book?

mindy said...

It was "Breakfast at Tiffanys." You can see why I didn't read it...

AM said...

Why's it called "BREAKFAST at Tiffanys" when you can't eat at Tiffanys? BTW, I made a blog on my blog thing, so now I have a blog.... somewhat.

ldsjaneite said...

Yes, I wouldn't read it either.

Jenny Dahlke said...

When did this dr. pepper habbit emerge? I don't remember you being attached to a can in college;)

mindy said...

No, I just started drinking a couple of years ago...I grew up never drinking caffeine.