Age is relative.

I got some new tennis shoes yesterday. I was walking through the mall and there they were. My size and on sale. It's really not hard to shop for myself. I'm easy like that. This morning I put on my new shoes.

"You can't wear those shoes," my daughter informed me. I can't? "They're new," I told her, striking a pose so she could admire them.

"But no one over the age of 20 can wear shoes like that," she insisted. Funny. No one at the store mentioned this to me when I bought them. Undaunted, I wore them anyway. I guess I'm learning all sorts of new things: I'm not supposed to wear Converse tennis shoes even if they are my size and on sale.

My daughters were talking the other day and said that they were the only 2 girls in their class. "Except your teacher," I added. "She doesn't count," one of them said. Right. Because once you get old you lose your gender. I didn't know that either. Hopefully they'll tell me when I'm too old to learn new things. Apparently there is so much I still don't know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they're cute.

-me

Julie Ramsay said...

You are learning so much as a mom. I'm still in my hiding phase...I can learn later.

Jenny Dahlke said...

How dare they deny you the thrill of wearing shoes that you found on sale!!! Deals, deals, that's what we mom's live for....and by golly we need to share our good fortune with, well actually with whomever will listen, whether that be our family or the person unlucky enough to be stuck behind us in line at the store;)
A few years ago I discovered the joy of flat irons. My hair has always been frizzy and I was thrilled to find that a straightener can fix that!!! Well, all my friends complimented me and told me how young I looked, of course I was so happy. Now, my teenagers on the other hand were mortified, apparently I'm too old to use a flat iron. Guess I'm just supposed to cut my hair off and go gray.

mindy said...

Jenny you go girl! And when we are so old that we no longer have gender (hopefully a long time from now)---I hope you will STILL use your flat iron!

AM said...

what they ment as in she didn't count as a girl was that she was a lady, not a girl. And mom, do you have blisters yet? at Wal-Mart they looked like you were getting some

Katydid said...

I have a pink pair! Be who you are!