It's so exciting I can barely stand it!

Heather is out on her first date right now. I was so excited and nervous as we waited for her date to come and pick her up. I don't know how she felt. I mean, this is my first date, too. As a mom, that is.

Brian, Nick and I all answered the front door. Her date told Heather she looked nice---smooth. Then we all gathered around the window to watch them walk to the car. He opened the door for her---nice. Another brownie point.

As soon as they left, I yelled for Sarah and Anna and we headed for the car. I knew where they were going. It took all of my will-power and some of Sarah's to keep from following them. But how cool would it be to sit behind them in the movie theater? Very cool. We went and got pizza instead. Anna seemed disappointed.

"Don't worry, Anna. For your first date, I'll definitely follow you," I assured her. "Good, I've been looking forward to that," she smiled. "Your first date?" I wondered. "No, to being on a date and seeing you and dad dressed in black following in the car behind me."

We would be there. But probably not dressed in black. Black makes me look fat.

6 comments:

AM said...

Dad needs to buy high-tech binoculars.

Heather said...

well, i had fun. I missed the gathering around the window though.

ldsjaneite said...

Maybe it's a good thing my first "date" wasn't until the very end of my senior year...and that I was #7. My parents could not have cared less! :-)

Julie Ramsay said...

Ohhhh how sweet! I love living through my kids!

Jenny Dahlke said...

I read this aloud to Trent, I paused after the part about getting in the car to follow. I asked if he thinks you followed. I think he was hoping you did, glad she had fun;)

Katydid said...

Dating kids, wow! You should have followed them--a once in a lifetime memory.