Can I help you?

Who knew I was so bossy? Okay, everyone else but me. And all this time I thought I was easy going. It's funny how we fool ourselves. In fact, I am convinced that I don't have an opinion or need to do something my way, until I actually see that someone is doing it completely wrong. And I have to intervene. You know---to show them the RIGHT way to do it. My way.

The whole family went to the grocery store last night. It was pretty fun. We walked around the store in one long line. I found the item I wanted, handed it to Sarah, who handed it to Anna, who handed it to---you get the idea. At the check-out I asked which one of the kids had been trained in the proper way to put the food onto the counter. Heather took charge telling the others which food to put where. Heavy items first. Always. This means milk, pop, and then cans. Meat---making sure it doesn't touch anything else. Because that is just gross. Boxed items next and then the frozen food, produce, etc.

As the kids lined up everything the correct way I realized that I am a freak. Not only that, I'm turning my kids into freaks. At least we're organized freaks.

But it doesn't end there. Everywhere I go, I give my opinion on how to do things. At Burger King the girl was trying to change the garbage. She was doing it completely wrong. I stood next to her and walked her through the correct way. Step by step. She was a teenager and gave me a look, that if it hadn't been so important, I would've just left and let her fend for herself.

To name just a few, I recently suggested they change the layout at the gas station mini mart down the street, recommended they create a new drive-thru lane at McDonald's, and have let the city know several times where it would be helpful to have additional stoplights. I know there are people who are hired to make these decisions. If they would just do their jobs, I wouldn't have to do it for them. Although, I probably would anyway.

2 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

You've got too much time on your hands Honey! And yes you were always our own little mother...bossy as anything! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I witnessed the Burger King incident. The funniest part to me was not that you told the kid what to do, but that they listened to you!

-Me