Not heartless, just misunderstood.

Tonight I babysat for my friend. She called several girls but couldn't find a babysitter. It's a busy time of year. It was okay. Everyone else at my house was going to be gone anyway and it just gave me a good excuse to put off working on my lesson for church tomorrow.

She was very grateful that I was babysitting and brought me a plate of cookies to show her appreciation. After she left, her son saw the cookies on our kitchen counter. He wanted to eat the cookies.

This is the part that makes me look bad. You see, these cookies were a gift to me for helping her out. I was sure he had plenty more cookies at home. In fact, when I asked him, he said he did. But he still wanted those cookies. It just didn't make sense---she gives me cookies and then her kids eat them all...I gave him pretzels instead.

Am I a bad person? When my kids came home, I handed over the plate of cookies to them and explained how I had saved them for being eaten. (See, I didn't even eat any!) As I gave them to my family, my husband replied, "Sounds like a blog entry to me."

"No way," I said in my defense. "I would come off looking petty and mean!" Sarah and Brian busted out laughing. I heard one of them mutter under their breath, "Remember, 'I has a cough, too' as you chugged your pop and wouldn't share? And..."

Now wait a minute. But as I thought about it, I realized, "Man, they're probably right."

5 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

It's not being mean. It's teaching them they can't have whatever they want...until they're in a position like you and then they can.

Julie Ramsay said...

You totally should have eaten them all!

AM said...

i didn'y get any cookies!

Sheila said...

I think you did the right thing. But..... why did you offer them to your family? Ha! Ha! I thought they were yours! Ha!! I was given a plate of treats for mother's day and I am NOT sharing them. They are for ME! Ha!

Jenny Dahlke said...

The trick is getting them to look somewhere else and then hiding the treat. Then when they look back you play dumb. I've mastered this one over the years. Pretzels is probably a better snack choice anyway, don't know if you want to watch a kid hyped up on sugar;)